Includes 4 hours of instruction and a study guide with classwork and examples
The harmony in a church hymnal is simple and boring. If you play offertories and preludes or if you accompany, you are normally not locked into using that harmony. There are very huge improvements you can make.
Reharmonization is Greg's passion and this is his favorite course. This intense 4-hour experience will give you a huge toolbox filled with things that will take your music to a new level.
There are three major sections in this course, because reharmonization occurs in three ways:
1. Adding notes to boring chords to make them more interesting.
2. Changing one chord for another (chord substitutions).
3. Completely replacing existing harmony with better harmony.
Here are specifics about what you will learn:
- Review of triads (the basic building block of modern music).
- Seven more complex chords that you have to know and how to create them from triads.
- Exactly how to add 7ths to your church music and make them sound good.
- The importance of secondary dominants.
- Adding color notes (9ths, 11ths, and 13ths). These notes are a primary characteristic of Greg's sound.
- The powerful IV/V (suspended dominant) chord.
- Cool voicings of complex chords. Voicing refers to how you actually play the chord on the piano. Good voicings sound incredible and are very important when you are playing 5-6 note chords.
- Basic chord substitutions.
- The universal rule of chord substitutions explained. ANY chord can substitute for another chord if two conditions are met.
- Functional harmony.
- How to replace the entire harmony in a song with new, much better harmony.
When you finish this class, you will feel like you have been hit over the head with a 10 lb theory book, and you will know many things that pianists with masters and/or doctors degrees in music do not know. You may have to watch this one a few times, but it will completely revolutionize your sound.
A 32-page study guide with illustrations and assignments is included.
Save 15% with coupon code SUMMER15! (Must order by 5/31/2013.)
Pay on your own schedule! Spend at least $80 and spread your payments over 5-8 months.
Save 15% on instructional course DVDs/Downloads. See more here. (Expires 5/31/2013)
What order should you take the courses in?
How to learn with these courses
For parents of piano students
Pay on your own schedule!
Theory for Church Pianists
Play by Ear!
Playing Lead Sheets
How to Chart a Song
Playing Soft Music
Save money on packages!
Complete Set of 11 Courses
Church Pianists Package
Recommend Greg's products and earn $$
Save money! This course is in the following packages.
Complete Set of 11 Courses
1. How to read music (general basics such as naming notes, counting, key signatures, etc.).
2. Basic theory. You need to know how to play a major scale. Ideally, you can build simple chords such as major and minor triads. If you need help in this area, consider purchasing Theory for Church Pianists from GregHowlett.com.
3. How to identify chords and chart a song. You should be able to analyze vocal harmony in a hymnal and identify the chords. We will do one song early in the class as an example. If you need further help, consider purchasing the course How To Chart a Song from GregHowlett.com.
Want to talk to Greg before purchasing? His cell phone is 404-379-8905 and he will answer any questions you want to ask to help you decide what courses you should buy. (If you get his voice mail, leave a message and he will call you back.)
Frequently Asked Questions
What is your return policy?
If you purchase and want to return this product, you are welcome to do so within 90 days of the purchase date. We have yet to see our first return!
How is this course different from all the rest on the market?
It is different in one very significant way. It is based on understanding harmony. There are methods for teaching congregational accompaniment that do not focus on harmony. While you may initially learn quicker using those methods, you will limit your long term potential.
What kind of church music will the concepts work with?
You can use these concepts with any music. In the DVDs, the concepts are demonstrated with simple hymns, but you can use them with practically any modern music.
How does the "Pay On Your Own Schedule" option work?
If you cannot afford to pay for this course right now, you can still get started today. When you check out, you can specify how much you want to be charged each month until the course is paid for. Most courses can be paid for over the course of 5-8 months. Click here to learn more.
Do I have to wait for this course to arrive by mail or can I view it online?
You can order and take the electronic version of this course. You simply need a DSL or similar internet connection. When you order, you will receive the study guide in PDF format and will be able to view/download the course as much as you want. This option will save you money and is especially effective if you have a laptop but no TV in the same room as your piano.