Save 15% on instructional course DVDs/Downloads. See more here. (Expires 5/31/2013)
What order should you take the courses in?
How to learn with these courses
For parents of piano students
Pay on your own schedule!
Theory for Church Pianists
Play by Ear!
Playing Lead Sheets
How to Chart a Song
Playing Soft Music
Save money on packages!
Complete Set of 11 Courses
Church Pianists Package
Recommend Greg's products and earn $$
Information about this courseAre you a church pianist who wants to learn how to play better?
Do you want to learn such skills as arranging beautiful solos for offertories, accompanying your congregation or perhaps a soloist, and playing quiet background music during reflective points during a service?
You may have already had some lessons to learn these important skiills. And you probably ended up frustrated. Don't feel too bad because the traditional way that church music improvisation is taught is ineffective.
A New Approach to Teaching Church Music Improvisation
Greg Howlett is a pianist who knows how frustrating learning improvisation can be. A student of church music for almost thirty years, he understands the weaknesses in how this skill is almost always taught.
Here is the way it usually works. The teacher (a competent church pianist) plays a song on the piano while you watch over their shoulder. As they play, they point out technical things that they are doing chord substitutions, patterns, etc. At the end on the song, they tell you to go off and do it yourself. Later, you sit down at the piano but realize that you don't remember what they did. And you certainly don't understand why they did it!
Greg uses a totally different approach in Inspirational Improvisation. Rather than working through songs, he works through nine important concepts. Each lesson thoroughly discusses why and how a specific concept works. After the concept is applied to a song, a homework assignment is given to help students apply that concept to songs they pick out for themselves.
The goal of this course is not to get you to a point where you can play a few songs well. The goal is to give you nine concrete concepts that you will learn well enough to apply to any song you wish without even stopping to think.
What Inspirational Improvisation includes:
- A 4 DVD set containing six hours of instruction.
- A 32 page study guide containing the important takeaways from each lesson as well as examples and work assignments.
Here are the nine concepts:
- Understanding foundational chords and function (Recognizing the six common chords used in all church music) Video explanation
- Adding 7ths (Changing boring three note triads into four note chords) Video explanation
- Minor chord substitutions (Easy chord substitutions that will dramatically improve your sound) Video explanation
- Adding color notes (Implementing 9ths, 11ths, 13ths) Video explanation
- Voicing (How to play the notes in a chord on the piano in a way that sounds sophisticated) Video explanation
- Step progressions (How to replace entire chord progressions in a song with your own harmony) Video explanation
- Technical treatments (Easy things you can do to make your music more interesting) Video explanation
- Hooks (Developing themes that can be incorporated through your music to tie it together and make it unforgettable) Video explanation
- Feeling (How to add emotional content to your music) Video explanation
This course is designed to keep you busy for at least a year. You will not learn unless you study, do the homework assignments, and apply the concepts. But if you are willing to put in the time, this Christian piano curriculum will dramatically improve your improvisation skills.
Want to talk to Greg before purchasing? His cell phone is 404-379-8905 and he will answer any questions you want to ask to help you decide what courses you should buy. (If you get his voice mail, leave a message and he will call you back.)
Frequently Asked Questions
What is your return policy?
If you purchase and want to return this product, you are welcome to do so within 90 days of the purchase date. We have yet to see our first return!
How is this course different from all the rest on the market?
It is different in one very significant way. It is based on understanding harmony. There are methods for teaching congregational accompaniment that do not focus on harmony. While you may initially learn quicker using those methods, you will limit your long term potential.
What kind of church music will the concepts work with?
You can use these concepts with any music. In the DVDs, the concepts are demonstrated with simple hymns, but you can use them with practically any modern music.
How does the "Pay On Your Own Schedule" option work?
If you cannot afford to pay for this course right now, you can still get started today. When you check out, you can specify how much you want to be charged each month until the course is paid for. Most courses can be paid for over the course of 5-8 months. Click here to learn more.
Do I have to wait for this course to arrive by mail or can I view it online?
You can order and take the electronic version of this course. You simply need a DSL or similar internet connection. When you order, you will receive the study guide in PDF format and will be able to view/download the course as much as you want. This option will save you money and is especially effective if you have a laptop but no TV in the same room as your piano.