Includes 4 hours of instruction and a study guide with classwork and examples
Church pianists are influential. They are very often one of the biggest influences on the overall worship atmosphere in a service.
The queen of all church piano skills is accompanying your congregation when they sing. If you want to make a more positive impact in your church music, this is the first area you need to focus on.
In this 4 hour course, you will learn:
- The history, goals and challenges of congregational accompaniment.
- The theory behind this style of improvisation.
- A simple 4-step process that will get you playing congregational music in a solid, effective style.
- Ways to take the style to a much higher (and fancier) level.
- Four ways to make your left hand more interesting and less predictable.
- Multiple strategies for fills (filling in dead space).
- How to play songs in 3/8, 6/8 and 9/8.
- How to adjust to different styles such as reflective songs and big anthems.
- How to play introductions.
- How to work with a song leader.
This course includes a 60-page study guide with examples and assignments to help you learn these skills.
There are two main sections. In the first section, you will learn a basic style that will make you a fairly simple but effective congregational accompanist. The second section teaches numerous strategies to help you play in a more complex and interesting way.
This course is based on theory. The goal is to get pianists reading chords rather than notes. In fact, step 1 of the 4-step process is learning how to identify the chords in a song. Most courses and classes that teach this congregational accompaniment do not take this approach. They instead give shortcuts that get the pianist playing the style faster but limit their longer term potential.
The ability to identify chords in a song is critical to being all you can be as a church pianist and is a building block of practically every course available at GregHowlett.com. Make sure you spend some time on this skill before you start more advanced courses. Here is a course that will really help you.
Save 15% with coupon code SUMMER15! (Must order by 5/31/2013.)
Pay on your own schedule! Spend at least $80 and spread your payments over 5-8 months.
Save 15% on instructional course DVDs/Downloads. See more here. (Expires 5/31/2013)
What order should you take the courses in?
How to learn with these courses
For parents of piano students
Pay on your own schedule!
Theory for Church Pianists
Play by Ear!
Playing Lead Sheets
How to Chart a Song
Playing Soft Music
Save money on packages!
Complete Set of 11 Courses
Church Pianists Package
Recommend Greg's products and earn $$
Save money! This course is in the following packages.
Complete Set of 11 Courses
Church Pianists Package
Prerequisites (what you need to know to understand this course)
1. How to read music (general basics such as naming notes, counting, key signatures, etc.).
2. Basic theory. You need to know how to play a major scale. Ideally, you can build simple chords such as major and minor triads. If you need help in this area, consider purchasing Theory for Church Pianists from GregHowlett.com.
3. How to identify chords and chart a song. You should be able to analyze vocal harmony in a hymnal and identify the chords. We will do one song early in the class as an example. If you need further help, consider purchasing the course How To Chart a Song from GregHowlett.com.
Want to talk to Greg before purchasing? His cell phone is 404-379-8905 and he will answer any questions you want to ask to help you decide what courses you should buy. (If you get his voice mail, leave a message and he will call you back.)
Frequently Asked Questions
What is your return policy?
If you purchase and want to return this product, you are welcome to do so within 90 days of the purchase date. We have yet to see our first return!
How is this course different from all the rest on the market?
It is different in one very significant way. It is based on understanding harmony. There are methods for teaching congregational accompaniment that do not focus on harmony. While you may initially learn quicker using those methods, you will limit your long term potential.
What kind of church music will the concepts work with?
You can use these concepts with any music. In the DVDs, the concepts are demonstrated with simple hymns, but you can use them with practically any modern music.
How does the "Pay On Your Own Schedule" option work?
If you cannot afford to pay for this course right now, you can still get started today. When you check out, you can specify how much you want to be charged each month until the course is paid for. Most courses can be paid for over the course of 5-8 months. Click here to learn more.
Do I have to wait for this course to arrive by mail or can I view it online?
You can order and take the electronic version of this course. You simply need a DSL or similar internet connection. When you order, you will receive the study guide in PDF format and will be able to view/download the course as much as you want. This option will save you money and is especially effective if you have a laptop but no TV in the same room as your piano.